Friday, November 18, 2011

Stand for Something

It is interesting, since I decided on coming to MIIS and study Human Security and Development, many people have asked me what in the world I'd do with such a degree, and better yet what could I possibly do here in the US with that degree? I always have at least a semi answer for the first half of that question (work for the UN), but always struggled with the second half myself. I want to move back to WA one day and never know what in the world I can do locally with such a degree. Kael's steadfast answer is always that I should be a teacher. He is adamant I should become a teacher so that I have the ability to share my knowledge and passions with the next generation...AND as he says since I love what teenagers love anyway I'll get along with them! :) (meaning my love for Disney and other teen pop sensational people/movies/things) While being a teacher would be an honor, especially because the teachers in my life have given me everything, that answer has never settled my quest for figuring out how in the world I can put my human security degree to work in a local setting. Until now.

If you read my post on our Nepal site, you will read about my experience meeting with a major human rights defender from Nepal. He speaks so passionately about the rights abuses in Nepal, the suffering, the poverty, the inequality, and as well about the remarkable beauty of the country. This talk has me thinking about way too many issues per second. Women, poverty, land grabs, political instability, communism and why Americans hate communists, torture, human rights, feminism.....but oddly enough through all the discussion of issues in Nepal, issues you would assume only developing or conflict ridden countries go through, I was comparing them to our situation at home. Take land grabs for instance. In Nepal a big problem is the government taking over people's lands because they are in debt and can't pay. Sound familiar? What about here in America where the government and banks are repossessing homes? No, we are not forcing people to do manual labor on their lands like what is happening in some rural places in Nepal but the rest of the situation is similar right? What about income inequality? The former King and a few other autocrats hold the majority of the money and largest share of GDP in Nepal....sound familiar? In Nepal if you have a lot of money and/or guns you live above the law....familiar? People and corporations who have billions upon billions of dollars can just buy legislators and live above the law by changing the laws to favor themselves. These are all issues WE are facing here in AMERICA! Not just in Nepal, or Lebanon, or Sierra Leone, or whatever other developing country you can think of. That is powerful. The Global North (The US, Europe, Canada, Australia) are facing similar issues as the countries they are normally trying to help.

What does all this have to do with me finding a way to put my degree to use locally you ask? Well, it means that the issues that I am learning about in my quest for my MA, women's rights, conflict resolution, structural and cultural violence, and many others are all happening here in the US. Our educational system isn't what it used to be. Corruption and inequality are increasing. I grew up watching shows like American Dreams, The West Wing, fascinated with the 1960s and political and social struggle. And now I am realizing this is OUR Time to stand for something. To stand in solidarity not just with the developing countries who have very real, difficult issues to solve, but with the people in our own country. With the 99%. We have to stand up. Stand up for the men and women who come home from war without any help from our government to reintegrate into society, stand up to a government who is always more willing to send more men and women to die for our country than men and women to speak for our country. Stand up to banks and big corporations who are not only putting small businesses (you know the businesses Republicans swear they stand by and protect?) out of business but are controlling the fabric of society through media monopoly and political influence. Stand up against people who think that government is too big and shouldn't provide its citizens with healthcare or education or good infrastructure, but think its perfectly suitable for that same government to tell its citizens who can and cannot get married or who can and cannot decide whats right for their own bodies. I am finally realizing that the issues that are so important to me are not just being violated in other countries, they are being violated right here at home. Maybe I can actually make a difference here, not just in Lebanon or Nepal or wherever my life takes me. I can put my degree to work right here at home...that is if there is a job when I get out in this broken down economy.

Stand up for something. I stand with the 99%. I stand for human rights. I stand for freedom and equality, much like my country's founders.

Get involved. Stand for something.

Much love,

Sasha

If you haven't already seen it, take the time to watch this video and listen to this song, it is a really great summary of what the 99% is really about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq3BYw4xjxE

No comments:

Post a Comment