Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The City that NEVER Sleeps....seriously

Goodmorning everyone!

It is 9am here and I have been officially awake for 2.15 hours already! The average amount of sleep so far on the trip has been about 4 hours, maybe a little more. Last night was 3!! They paid for our airfare and all of our hotel and amenities here (including the hotel's FABULOUS and EXPENSIVE breakfast buffet, which I woke up a half an hour early just to enjoy today! I can't help myself!), but they sure do work us to the bone to get their moneys worth!! Today, our simulation started at 8:30 am and goes until 10pm (with breaks of course). Then I have another smaller meeting at 10pm followed by a little reception/meeting for our at conference hired staff at 10:30 and a full staff meeting at 11:45 (last night it STARTED at 1am). All in all it is crazy how long our days are...but honestly the craziest part is I can do it and I am not really THAT tired. It seems as tho if I just keep this no sleep pace I do well, yesterday I got to "sleep in" totaling my sleep time to 7hrs and I was exhasted when I woke up with HUGE bags under my eyes! funny how that works! :)

The conference is going swimmingly however. Yesterday there was "massive floodings" in the city and our senior staff were really worried about getting 2,500 students from our hotel to the UN (which is about a 30min walk, doable on a bright sunny NYC day, not so doable on a rainy day). The hotel lined up endless taxis for us but us staff still had to fight our way into taxis first so we would beat the delegates to the UN because we were responsible for helping with security. The funniest part was, my roomate who is also from Seattle and I were standing outside the UN and stuck our hands out in the rain and said "really? this is a flood...this is a normal day in Seattle!" it really didn't seem that bad....but...this is a whole different world here! haha Turned out there was nothing to fret! Our delegates were really well behaved at the UN, excited to be there, and turns out didnt mind waiting an hour or more in the rain to get in! The UN security staff actually THANKED us while we were leaving...that never happens!

The General Assembly Great Hall, where we do our opening ceremonies at the UN never gets old. Although it is an old, relatively unkept room, it is really really beautiful! This is my 3rd time in that room and I love it every time! Hopefully one day I will spend much more time in that building, it could be the love of my life! ;) (my cousin Jim is cringing while reading that sentance....if he did! I can here him rolling his eyes now! haha <3 you!)

Well, I suppose I should get back to running my committee...it is my job! :) All in all I am having a GREAT time here, no time for sight seeing though...good thing I've been here 3 times before!!

Much Love!

Sash

No comments:

Post a Comment