Parliamentary Elections are just around the corner (Sunday) and the whole country is gearing up for it! Papa requested (or maybe it was Nana using Papa's name...couldn't tell!) Regardless, one of my grandparents requested reflections on the elections. While I don't have reflections now, I do have observations!
It is really interesting (as a Political Scientist---can I say that now that I graduated?) to be here during election season because there are so many things that are different but also the same as in the U.S. First of all, in the U.S. everything doesn't shut down for 2 days, people dont spend the week prior to the election selecting where to go based on where thre might be a threat and the army doesn't post up in every city. Thats the first set of things that are very different. Today we drove by teh place where the boys play soccer and there was a line of tanks and other army vehicles outside...no more soccer for the week.
Something that is very the same as the US is election coverage is everywhere. Every billboard is campaign sign (I am trying to figure out how I can get some pictures of them), every news channel is focusing on the elections ahead. Democracy in the Middle East is a pretty new phenomena so everyone watches to see if this election will uphold democracy or fail it.
I really hope I can get a picture of me voting...I dont know what the rules are in that regard, and I am assuming there will be a lot of army people there, so I may not want to risk it! (side note, this entry is taking forever for me to right cus every few seconds I have to itch a fricken mosquito bite on my foot or leg..grrr)
In other news, I just got off the phone with my two cousins and uncle and mom....it was a great conversation full of mutual insults and jokes about my wit and intelligence!! :) I love my family!! But it did sound like they had a good hike up Saddle Rock....except maybe for Matt! ;)
Ok, thats all I've got....
Much love,
Sasha
No comments:
Post a Comment