Monday, June 8, 2009

Often times in a Democracy the other guy wins....

But this time Democracy proved fruitful for the Christian/Sunnis coalition 14 of March! This makes it official that every election I have voted in the person/ppl I voted for won! Wow!! Can't wait to vote for myself for President! :)  

The reason I titled this post one of my favorite quotes from the West Wing (when the President is pissed that one of his former enemies won a seat on the school board back home and his press secretary told him that often times in democracy the other guy wins) is because it is such a great quote to keep elections in perspective. I have been claiming the greatness of democracy because we won, but a 2nd cousin of mine is disappointed and on a Facebook status was disappointed that democracy hasn't come to Lebanon...its all perspective. But at the root of it, choice IS democracy! I love politics!!!

Something I have enjoyed observing is the youth during this election! They are so much more engaged in this election than most in the U.S....this really is the year of historic elections and youth participation! I am always the one in my group of friends (at least at home....at university all my friends are Poli Sci nerds! haha) that brings up politics and I am always shut down! But today all of our friends were talking politics and there were so many people my age on the streets celebrating last night! Its great to see young people vote! I truly think progress can't be achieved without youth participation!!

Lots of things to ponder! (I have too much time on my hands!) Mara comes the day after tomorrow!! I can't believe it!!! And mom dad and soni one day after that! YAAY

Much love,

Sash

No comments:

Post a Comment