Monday, October 12, 2009

Being the "Other"

Hey all!
So going to school in a foreign country is really interesting. I mean it is interesting doing a lot of things in a foreign country because when you become the "other" there is a lot to learn. Let me explain...in class yesterday we were obviously talking about development and we got into traditionalism and why the word "tradition" is typically synonymous with backward (in regard to Western standards) and the students in my class used "us" a lot in referring to the 3rd world and Lebanon and "them" in referring to the US and other "Western" nations. This I found really interesting, for one because all the sudden I was the sole Representative of the West in the room and also the representative of murder and impossible standards (in their eyes)...which isn't exactly the representation you want :). This is something that is so fun and interesting for me to be a part of because I get to see just how people view us here in the ME (for future reference I use ME for Middle East).

And there are also interesting contradictions...for instance they see the US as the most developed country, the most supreme la la la, but there are many people IN THE US who argue our status is falling, our declining economy and failure to keep up with education standards around the world are bringing our status down. Within our class for instance one of the girls listed what creditials she believed made a country truly developed and the US met none of those in reality, and I pointed this out to her saying "then the US isn't a developed country?" and she was like "no no the US is the most developed!" and I said, "yea in reality probably, but according to your standards its not at all...so which is it? Thats the question a lot of people are asking, if the US really is the most developed country and if it isnt, who is?". SO that is very interesting to me....the woes of being the most powerful country??

These debates make me appreciate our country a lot more. I am sure there would be a lot of people who would be in my shoes and would become anti American or realize how terrible we are. While I recognize our countries policy flaws, I still appreciate all that it has to offer us and to those around the world if they took responsibilities for their actions too. Which brings me to my next point...what is REALLY interesting is how the students blame the US a lot for "holding the 3rd world down" or making standards for the rest of the world that are purely "western" and what I had to say to that is "ok. you are right. We do sketchy things to remain in power" BUT when do you stop blaming the US and start taking accountability for your own leaders? For instance, here in Lebanon the roads are awful and the electricity goes out all the time...these are national matters that are keeping Lebanon in "3rd world status" (which I put in quotes because I HATE using the terminology 1st, 2nd and 3rd world since those are outdated terms used in the Cold War...but that is how they classify themselves so there you go)...anyway, these issues within Lebanons boarders are not the fault of the US. In fact the US gave Lebanon money to help rebuild after the war...so it is interesting. The other point when they discuss these standards the US imposes on the 3rd world about being backward if you will a lot of times are actually coming from the UN! WHICH countries of the 3rd world have to consent to by signing on to resolutions....so....are they really American ideals? No, they are standards for better living for everyone, agreed upon by the UN...such as the Millennium Development Goals to eradicate extreme poverty, achieve gender equality, improve education by ensuring all people get through basic primary education, things like that. Now, dont get me wrong, its not like all of the students here are Anti-American, and even of the 7 of us I would really only say the 1 guy is actually Anti-American, but the others I think just argue these points academically, which I respect.


I could go on and on for hours! :) I just think it is SOO interesting studying with people who see us so differently than we see ourselves. I think it is such a great opportunity for me to be critical of the country I love so much but also use that critique not to bash the US but rather develop goals and initiatives the US could have to achieve better standing in the world....then maybe one day when I am President I'll have the ability to lead the US with a better world view!! ;) BUT REALLY...I am shotting for a Nobel Peace Prize here...I mean Obama got one!! ;) OK LOW BLOW sorry! :) THAT my friends is a great debate! I wont get into it here!! haha I already started a ruckus on my facebook once!! :)


I should go eat then go to class! I will update again soon! I so admire my cousin Stacy's ability to update her blog everyday! Stacy, you are my hero!! :) I have been bad at updating!!!


Much love,


Sasha

2 comments:

  1. No, the difference for me is it is my only link to the outside world. I don't think you have that problem!!! But I do love reading your updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife showed me this blog and its very cool to see this sort of topic from a point of view young Americans might be able to relate to. Anyways you are absolutely right, too many Americans take America for granted. Sure our country has its flaws but as you said, going to other countries truly makes you appreciate the States in a million ways.

    One negative stigma is the idea that West=Superior and East=Inferior. I guess its up to the coming generations to make that go away.

    ReplyDelete