Thursday, June 9, 2011

Settling In

Now...where was I??

So we set off to California the day after I got home from MN which I believe was June 2nd. The day started off early, since we had a 12 hr drive ahead of us we wanted to get an early start. We planned to meet my cousin Olivia at her place at 8:15 to pick up a bike she was going to sell me. Already there were so many things wrong with this plan. I really should have gone the night before to get the bike. 1. because I needed to get cash out from the bank and 2. because she had to leave for work at 8:30 so if we were at all late due to traffic our window would be tight. And guess what...our window was tight. I didn't actually make it to her house before she had to leave, which, no one realized meant I wasn't able to give her her cash that had made me late in the first place. Kael got there, got the bike loaded in the Uhaul and mom and I turned around, went to Starbucks to pee and got on the highway right behind him...or so we thought. Mom and I were driving along the 202 out toward California and for a few miles couldn't see Kael. We kept thinking, he couldn't possibly be that far ahead of us could he??? We were on Interstate 10 West before we thought to call him. Turned out he had pulled over to shift stuff in the Uhaul and didn't tell us he stopped. We pulled over and he caught up to us and so the day goes on. Driving 55MPH I was dying. I feel bad for my mom who had to listen to me wine. 55MPH does not bode well for someone with a lead foot. At some point we stopped to shift around stuff in the Uhaul again because it was swaying on Kael a lot. Mom and I looked in the Uhaul to try to help him and I asked him where my new bike was..after all I hadn't seen it yet...and we all thought maybe it just shifted forward and was burried. About 30 minutes later Kael came over the walkie talkie and goes "uh...Sash? Remember how you asked about your bike....I don't think its in the Uhaul..." I will skip the exploitatives I yelled at him and just say that what happened was Kael took it out back on the 202 to shift the weight around in the trailer...turns out he left it on the side of the road. Irritated to say the least.

Fast forward 4 hours later and we crossed into California FINALLY. We decided not to stop for lunch however until we got to Palm Springs. When we got there around 2pm we had lunch, took Maddi on a nice long walk to Petco and got a heavy duty tarp to re cover the mattresses and kitchen table in the bed of Kael's truck. Literally a mile down the road the tarp was flying all over the place...so we pulled off and tried to fix it. Got back on the road and again, a mile later the tarp was a gonner. So we pulled off the road to take it totally off. After a detour out of the gas station we were off again. Poor Kael was exhausted from moving our entire apartment down three flights of stairs and we'd already had a long day at that point. We made it through Los Angeles but not much farther than that. Daddy booked us a hotel room in Bakersfeild.

The next day went much smoother. Just a quick 4 hour drive to Monterey!! haha We were ecstatic to get to the house. I'll take lots of pictures to show you what we walked up to it definitely was underwhelming. The yard is all dirt no grass with a shotty fence that will absolutely not contain our wild pup. However, despite the ugliness the outside the inside of the house is quite quaint. The paint could use some work, but nothing that a few posters and picture frames didn't cure.

This is a long enough blog. I am sure if Stacy is reading this she is thinking "ok this is too long, I don't have all day to read one post" Right Stacy?! haha

Until next time, which I promise wont be a weeks time....

Much love,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment