One was triggered today by an interesting conversation my mom and I had about the use of my vocabulary in reference to how people act based on culture. I used the word "wrong" in reference to my Aunt not allowing my cousin and I to see the Virgin Mary (stature obviously) being brought down the street only because we were wearing shorts (mind you we were not going to church, we did not know the Virgin Mary would be making a visit outside our home, and we were not intentionally wearing the shorts to be disrespectful, it was hot outside, thus we wore shorts). I use the word "wrong" often times in reference to patriarchical societies (including the US in some cases) that treat women as second class citizens. I also use the word "wrong" in reference to the treatment of people based on religion, and treatment of people within a religion. Often time the use of the word "wrong" is offensive, and I am sure it is offensive for me to say certain cultural practices are "wrong". This thought is intreguing to me...because, is there a line? This is honestly not me ranting, but rather me being very curious. Where is the line between respecting culture and not imposing "Westernized views (and culture I suppose)" onto other countries and standing up and saying something is "wrong".
For example: This article in CNN is about a beheading and crucifixion of a man who was guilty of murding an 11 yr old boy and the boys father. The man found guilty, instead of serving time in prison or given a "humane" death sentance was first beheaded then his body was displayed in public....I would say this is wrong, and most of the world's human rights groups would agree. http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/05/30/saudi.arabia.execution/index.html BUT This punishment is part of traditional "culture" in Saudi Arabia...is it wrong? It is culture in Saudi Arabia to make their women dress from head to toe, only allowing their eyes to be shown and make them second class citizens, not allowing them even the right to drive a car...is this wrong?
Its very interesting to me. I guess as a "political scientist" who is never graded based on "right or wrong" answers, "right and wrong" are curious terms for me. I really dont think there is a right answer to what is wrong (confused yet?)......but rather maybe the key is to walk the tight rope of respect while putting your foot down when there is something you personally truly believe is wrong. For instance, my beliefs of the treatment of women in such places as Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan and Pakistan would lead me not to go spend my free time in those countries. By not subjecting yourself to such things you do not disrespect the culture....BUT wait?! How do we effect change if we turn our heads??
Hmm....I am curious. (although in that last paragraph I think I accidentally described US foreign policy towards Saudi Arabia...haha) Culture intregues me, truly. I think that is what is so fascinating about living here. My parents and grandparents who I talk to on the phone the most hear me bitch, moan and whine a lot about family drama or cultural circumstances I don't agree with, but, I truly find them interesting when the heat cools down a little in my mind. I think that is what is the most important lesson I am learning here. To respect people and culture while finding a balance of creating change. If I could, I would start a hugely successful feminst movement here....we'll see huh, I have two years?! haha
Anyway, enough of my thoughts for the day, I am sure you cared soooo much! ;)
Much love,
Sasha
Dear Sasha, I, too, dislike having women treated as "second class" citizens - you know me, I'm frightfully independent! HOWEVER, that is due to the culture in which I have been raised! To impose our ideas on another culture when the people of that culture are not yet ready for such ideas or movements is (in my opinion) interference that is detremental to the people within the culture. Can one expect a small child to understand the complex ideas and interactions of chemistry? Of course not! It took decades of women voicing their opinions and ideas before they finally have won the rights we have here today. But it was the woment here, in the US, that began the movement, sustained the movement, and made the changes. We did not have someone from the outside come here and tell us that what we were doing was wrong and that it needed to be changed!
ReplyDeleteWhen I went on trips to Europe (obviously not as different as your circumstances) I insisted that the students and adults on the trip tried as much as possible to blend in - the girls HAD to wear skirts or dresses and have their arms covered when we went to various churches and cathedrales - they were asked to eat with the utensils in the opposite hand - the young people HAD to give up their seats on public transportation to anyone that entered who was older (the list could go on but I think you get the point).
Change in a culture occurs slowly and (again, in my opinion) needs to come from people within the culture if there is to be truly meaningful change.
You asked an good question - is there a line between respecting culture - doing what others in the culture are doing and standing up for what one believes is "right" - I guess that, for me, I would try to fit into a culture - if that meant changing my dress - no problem, I can live with that for a while - change how I do some things, again, no problem - I would have a problem in a country if they asked me to participate in, say, stoning someone caught in what that country says is an illegal act! If asked, I'd give my reasons, opinions, whatever, and discuss at length - but only if asked. What we often think is barbaric, others think is just fine! (bullfighting comes to mind - went to one in Madrid - good to see and experience once, but don't want to go again! Though I know that the bulls are prized and lead very, very fine lives leading up to the fight!)
Well, this has gotten quite long! Perhaps we can talk more about this when you come to Minnesota in July!!!! Love you lots, Auntie Lynn