So while my speaking is improving at a very slow rate, much like the movement of glaciers (wait, is that a bad example...they seem to be moving faster these days...global warming or something) my understanding is improving greatly. Auntie Lynn, would you agree this is a step in the right direction? Or am I making that up to feel better about my language skills? haha While out to dinner the other night, I was eating and listening to everyone chat and one of the guys told this story, or more of an observation really that everyone who was cruising the streets suddenly stopped. Well he turned to me to translate his story, so I felt included in the conversation of course, and I looked and him and said "yea. I know. you just told everyone in english silly!" (lately people have been actually speaking English to me and then someone will translate their English...its rather funny) and he looked at me funny followed by a strange look from Nancy and at the same time (ish) they both claimed that no, he actually told them the story in arabic. I laughed at this and did not believe them, I was sure they were speaking english because I understood his story! And I wasnt looking at him most of the time because I was eating so I was sure I didnt just follow along thru hand motions (thats what I do most of the time in dinner/big group settings, because they use their hands, point use a few english or french words, works well actually...means i can laugh and have about %40 accuracy rate as to understanding what I am laughing at). To make an uneccessary long story short I was really excited because I legitimately understood a conversation in Arabic! YAY ME!!
Thought I would let you all know. Other than that, life has been mellow. It was really really windy last night and most of today. Knocked out the electricity last night...fun stuff!
Hope all is well stateside! I am going to go read my CNN...make sure I am slightly informed about my country (i hate when ppl ask me about something going on in the US --like swine flu before I got with the program and I dont know what they are talking about...I feel like the thought "stupid americans" is going through their head!) :)
Much love,
Sash
Good Morning/evening, Sash My, my you are a busy person (or should I say fun time person?)!! We are so glad that you are having the chance for a vacation this year. It has been a long time since you have had any extended time off. It sounds as though you are doing a great job of learning “informal” Arabic!! Yea, Sash!!
ReplyDeleteAll is well here – we are at Sue & Jim’s (Ottertail Lake) now. Had a great time with the boys and family in Mpls. Finn is so cute and growing so fast!! It was nice of Ron and Lynn to come up while we were there so we could have a 4 generation picture. Not too often that that happens.
Re Masters: You and your family are really the only ones who can make an informed decision. You are right when you say that that would be a lot different than being in Lebanon on vacation. We are confident that you are wise enough to make a decision that will be the best for you. You can be sure that whatever you decide we will back your decision 100% Only one word of caution – you will probably need to do more studying and less partying!! (Of course Grandma HAD to say that!!
Anyway – enjoy life, study hard and know that you are loved!! Hugs, G’ma
That's so great about the understanding more Arabic!!! Ummm, I hear it's a pretty challenging language :)
ReplyDelete